Hello dear reader, strawberry jam can be used as a spread on bread, chappatis, biscuits, cakes, pancakes, waffles, you can also add a dollop of jam on yogurt and ice cream sundae and if you really like jam you can serve jam with idli and dosa, the list is limitless.
Making strawberry jam is very easy, it recquires only 3 ingredients and takes only 30 minutes to cook including prep time. You can serve this jam in the fridge for about 3 weeks but I’m pretty sure your family will finish the jam within a week because it tastes that delicious.
Now there is no need to add extra pectin ( pectin is a substance which helps thickness the jam when heated together with with sugar) because lemon has high amount of pectin and the seeds and skin of strawberries also have little amounts of pectin.
Another reason why we use lemon juice is to balance the sweetness of jam. The juice of lemon also helps to prevent the growth of bacteria hence it also acts as an preservative.
Let’s get started
- Strawberry :- 15 or 1 box
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Lemon – 1 small sized
- Cut the head of the strawberry and then cut the strawberry into small pieces.
- In a pan add the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir on medium flame till all the sugar is melted this will take about 5 minutes.
- After this reduce the flame to low and stir for about 20 minutes, make sure to smash the strawberry pieces while stiring.
- After 20 minutes you will notice that all the water is absorbed, and that your that strawberry jam has thickened.
- Switch off the flame, cool it and then transfer it into dry box.
Tips and tricks :-
- Make sure to add the jam to a dry box, otherwise your jam will start spoiling.
- Jam will thicken while it cools, so don’t cook it for more than 25 minutes.
- Do not add water this will just dilute the jam.