Hello dear reader, raw banana/ plantain is very popular in South India. We use it quite a lot in curries, cutlets, side-dishes and in every kids favourite banana chips.
The texture of raw banana is hard and it is green in colour and it cannot be eaten raw.
Raw banana poriyal/ side – dish is very tasty , you can pair it with rice and dal or rasam . You can also serve it with chappatis along with a simple curry.
So let’s begin with the recipe:-
- Raw banana – 1
- Tomato puree – 2 tomatoes
- Ginger – garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin / Jeera seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Corriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – as recquired
- Salt – as recquired
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Water – as required
- Cut the ends of the raw banana and peel the skin off using a knife . Wash it well and slice it evenly.
- In a vessel add about a cup of water then add the sliced banana pieces along with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and let it boil, this will take 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a pan then add oil , cumin seeds, Hing, ginger- garlic paste, turmeric powder , red chilli powder, salt, tomato puree, saute till the tomato paste realeses it’s oil.
- Then add garam masala powder and then add boiled banana slices, and saute well for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot.